Workers' Compensation

About Workers' Compensation

All ICOE employees, including full-time, part-time, short-term, substitute, and non paid volunteers, are entitled to workers' compensation benefits and are covered under the Imperial County Office of Education's self-funded workers' compensation plan. You may be entitled to workers' compensation benefits if you are injured or become ill because of your job. Workers' compensation covers most work-related physical or mental injuries and illnesses. An injury or illness can be caused by one event (such as hurting your back) or repeated exposures (such as injuring your wrist from doing the same repetitive motion over and over).

Workers' Compensation Benefits

  • Medical Care
    Doctor visits, hospital services, physical therapy, lab tests, x-rays, and medicines that are reasonably necessary to treat your injury. You should never see a bill. For injuries occurring on or after 1/1/04, there is a limit on some medical services.
  • Temporary Disability (TD) Benefits
    Payments if you lose wages while recovering.
  • Vocational Rehabilitation
    Services and payments if your injury prevents you from returning to your usual job or occupation. This benefit applies to injuries that occurred prior to 1/1/04.
  • Supplemental Job Displacement Benefit
    A nontransferable voucher payable to a state approved school if you are injured on or after 1/1/04, the injury results in a permanent disability, you don't return to work within 60 days after TD ends, and your employer does not offer modified or alternative work.
  • Death Benefits
    Paid to dependents of a worker who dies from a work-related injury or illness. Please notify HR to assist you with your claim.

Third Party Administrator

The Imperial County Office of Education has selected the following Third Party Administrator (TPA) as the workers' compensation claims administrator:

P.O. Box 14153
Lexington, KY 40512-4153
Phone: (800) 922-5020
Fax: (859) 264-4062

The claims administrator is responsible for claims processing, monitoring, and managing to include the payments, benefits, treatment, and recovery of the injured worker. SCRMA assigns a claims adjustor dedicated exclusively to the injured workers of the ICOE. The claims adjustor provides case management services for both the employer and the injured worker.


Contact Information

Marisa Adams
Human Resources Technician
Ph. (760) 312-6156
Send Email

Rosa A. Meraz 
Human Resources Manager
(760) 312-6461
Send Email