44 AmeriCorps Borderlands members provide 1:1 to 1:3 ratio of academic tutoring in English language development and functional academics on a daily basis to 288 underperforming kindergarten through 12th grade and special education students at 19 service sites countywide.
Three team leader members provide mentoring to 15 children of prisoners. All 44 members recruit 25 ongoing volunteers to volunteer at least 600 hours in community service activities, and 30 one-time volunteers to volunteer at least 60 hours.
All 44 members receive a comprehensive program of training and the opportunity to implement learned skills to increase their sense of themselves as a leader in the community.
Members also receive Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training to become a part of Imperial County’s Community Emergency Response Team.
AmeriCorps Serving Here!
- Brawley Elementary School District
- Brawley Union High School District
- Calexico Unified School District
- Calipatria Unified School District
- Early Academic Outreach Program
- Heber Elementary School District
- Holtville Unified School District
- ICOE Alternative Education
- ICOE Special Education Program
- ICOE Student Well-Being Department
- Westmorland Union Elementary School District
* MUST BE DOWNLOADED TO COMPUTER IN ORDER TO FILL OUT AND SUBMIT ELECTRONICALLY. DO NOT FILL OUT IN BROWSER.
** ADOBE ACROBAT READER REQUIRED.
Print application and return to:
Imperial County Office of Education
Student Well-Being Department
1398 Sperber Road, El Centro, CA 92243
Phone: (760) 312-6498
Hours: 8AM to 5PM Monday through Friday
*Applications are also available at the Student Well-Being Department.
Administered by CaliforniaVolunteers and sponsored by the Corporation for National and Community Service.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or a legal, permanent resident.
- Must be 17 years or older with a high school diploma, a G.E.D.certificate, or be willing to work towards a G.E.D. certificate during service. Anyone under the age of 18 must provide written consent from a parent or a legal guardian.
- Must be fingerprinted through Imperial County Office of Education and through Fieldprint; must clear the criminal history checks completed by California DOJ and FBI; and must clear the National Sex Offender Public Registry check through Truescreen.
- Must make a commitment to complete 1700 hours or 900 hours of service based on the design of the AmeriCorps Project Borderlands program for the Imperial County Office of Education.
- Must be able to serve up to 8 hours per day including some evenings and weekends.
- Must have reliable transportation to the assigned sites and community service projects.
- Must pass a high-school level proficiency assessment in English and Mathematics.
2022-2023 Borderlands AmeriCorps Members
AmeriCorps Borderlands is a National Service Program where individuals 17 years and older are enlisted across the nation to "GET THINGS DONE" in their communities across the nation. In exchange for their service to local schools and neighborhoods, AmeriCorps members receive a living allowance and are eligible for an education award.
In Imperial County, the AmeriCorps Borderlands Program is recruiting members to serve beginning in August 2022 and ending in August 2023, contingent upon funding for Project Borderlands.
Borderlands AmeriCorps Program provides an opportunity to 44 AmeriCorps Members to tutor children in grades K-12 and special education youth at local school service sites to strengthen communities and to participate in a member development training program. The AmeriCorps Members must have a willingness to work with diverse populations in communities throughout Imperial County. AmeriCorps Members need to be positive role models for students and be dependable, community-minded, highly motivated, self-starters, flexible, and need to possess leadership ability or a potential for leadership.
2022-2023 AmeriCorps Swearing-In Ceremony Album
Recap Video: AmeriCorps Pledge Ceremony 2021
What is AmeriCorps?
Bright Spot: AmeriCorps Borderlands Program
Prevention Specialist | AmeriCorps Borderlands Project Specialist