- Foster Youth Education Toolkit
The toolkit is divided into five main sections:
Section 1 defines foster youth under LCFF and the role of their education rights holders.
Section 2 covers enrollment, including tools to identify foster youth, ensure youth are afforded the right to remain in their school of origin, and request records from prior schools.
Section 3 provides a comprehensive education evaluation template to assist schools in determining the education needs of foster youth.
Section 4 focuses on best practices for supporting foster youth in school, including
(1) identifying the early education needs of foster children ages 0 to 5,
(2) the special education needs of school-age foster youth,
(3) meeting the disciplinary challenges of foster youth, and
(4) helping high school foster youth graduate.
Section 5 discusses best practices for disenrolling foster youth who transfer schools.
For more information on the Foster Youth Education Toolkit, visit: www.kids-alliance.org/edtoolkit
- District Foster Care Liaisons for Imperial County