The Imperial County SELPA and its member districts offer comprehensive special education services to eligible students ages three through 21 years of age. Parents/Guardians who suspect their child has a disability are advised to contact their local school district or the Imperial County Special Education Local Plan Area (SELPA). All referrals are considered confidential. Federal and state laws require public schools to provide a free and appropriate public education with a full continuum of services for all eligible children with a disability at no cost to parent/guardian/guardians. Special education staff is available to help parent/guardians with information concerning eligibility criteria, referral procedures, and to identify appropriate programs based upon assessment and eligibility for services.
Imperial County SELPA Goals:
For Students with Disabilities and their parent(s)/guardians(s):
- Assure that appropriate programs and services are provided to meet the needs of each child with a disability throughout our County.
- Assure programs are available to each individual with disabilities.
- SELPA will work with districts to ensure each individual with disabilities has tools necessary to achieve at a level commensurate with his or her ability.
- Assure that each individual with disabilities is integrated within, and has access to, the district core curriculum and extracurricular activities, as determined appropriate by the IEP team.
- Assure the availability of due process rights for students and their parents.
To Maintain & Enhance Special Education Services:
- Work with member Districts to maintain and enhance the quality of special education programs and services through the use of on-going monitoring, technical assistance, and support.
- Encourage meaningful participation and involvement by parents of each child with a disability in the IEP process.
For Staff serving Students with Disabilities:
- A comprehensive program of continuing education, and opportunities for professional development to meet their individual and Districts’ needs.
- Assure that all certificated and classified staff members achieve professional growth.
- Maintain opportunities for sharing technical resources and information.